New Website Online

Hi folks!

Finally the new website is here. It has been much longer than I thought, but I guess it's normal when you try to finish a degree, start working and spend time on other toy projects.

I started designing this new page a long time ago and I think it took me a year to come up with this design in the end. However, it took me another 2 years to finally push a working version out there that I could live with. For the last year or so it was basically living under my experimental folder and only a hand-full of people have seen it. But now I finally thought, man this is embarrassing and you design will soon be totally out-dated.

Technically, I started with the good old PHP, but then after my internship at Google thought after actively working on the Google Web Toolkit (GWT) to use it for my website. So I started from scratch and implemented a GWT version that was totally dynamic. However I then saw that having a dynamic version brought more disadvantages than advantages and I didn't want to put it out there. After a lot of time I now dugg out the PHP code, polished it and here it is :)

Not everything is working yet as you might see and not everything is super polished. But I figured, I will probably be more motivated to update it once it's out there where everyone can see it :)

A few technical details: Despite using plain old PHP, I make use of Google services a lot to fill this site with content. I didn't want to implement my own content management system, but I also didn't want to use one. So for the articles section as well as for the excerpt on the front page I use blogger and their GDATA API to pull in the articles. For the pictures you see on the frontpage as well as in the pictures sectopn I use Picasa, again with the GDATA API.

I hope you like it, if so leave me a message. I will try to hock up blogger's comment function to my site as well at some point, so this should be easier.

For those folks totally not getting what I am talking about because they are looking at my actual blog, go over to www.haeberling.de :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing DD-WRT on the Linksys EA2700

Setting up Arduino IDE 1.0 and 1.6 for ATtiny and Manchester library

Backing up a NAS to CrashPlan using a Raspberry Pi